What is food synergy? It can be explained as certain foods which are intentionally consumed together, providing increased and unique health benefits.
Some foods that pair well together include:
- Tomatoes & avocado. The healthy fats in avocado help deliver the carotenoid nutrients from tomatoes.
- Rosemary & grilled meat. The antioxidants in rosemary seems to stop carcinogens from developing when grilling. Even a few drops of rosemary extract can do the trick.
- Oatmeal and orange juice. These common breakfast staples are a great combination to stabilize cholesterol levels.
- Spinach & lemon. Vitamin C aids in the body’s absorption of plant-based iron. A bit of lemon juice will “convert the plant-based iron in your salad into a form that's more similar to the iron found in fish and meat” (Huffpost).
- Broccoli & tomatoes. This combination can bring extra protection against prostate cancer, according to a 2007 study.
- Apples & grapes. The antioxidants found in apples, when paired with purple g rapes, may inhibit blood clots and increase heart health.
- Garlic & fish. When combined, total cholesterol is lowered.
Keep in mind no single food item holds the key to great health and nutrients. However, there are a few items that are regarded in high esteem for being “superfoods”:
- Dark leafy greens. These include kale, swiss chard, collard greens, turnip greens, and spinach.
- Berries. These include raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and cranberries.
- Green tea. Full of antioxidants and polyphenolic compounds.
- Olive oil. Contains high levels of monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs) and polyphenolic compounds.
- Eggs. Contain antioxidants and are nutrient-rich. May increase “good” HDL cholesterol when eaten in moderation (no more than 6-12 per week).
- Legumes. Full of nutrients and can prevent and manage various diseases.
- Nuts & seeds. Rich in fiber, protein, and heart-healthy fats. Also contain anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Kefir (& yogurt). Kefir is rich in probiotics, as well as other nutrients.
- Ginger. Contains antioxidants & has multiple medicinal effects.
- Turmeric. Has potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. Not easily absorbed by the body, but can be remedied by mixing it with black pepper.
- Sweet potato. Loaded with antioxidants and nutrients.
“Better Together: 16 Foods That Are Healthier In Pairs.” HuffPost, HuffPost Wellness, 12 Sept.
Hill, Ansley. “16 Superfoods That Are Worthy of the Title.” Healthline, Healthline Media,